MONKFRITH SCHOOL NEWSLETTER
4th December 2017
office email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Christmas Fair – 8th December 3:30-6:30pm
FOMS are excited for the Christmas Fair THIS FRIDAY!! Everything is coming together, and we can’t thank everyone enough who has brought in donations and volunteered their time so far. There are still a few ways to help in the next few days:
- We are still after more donations of soft toys, toys and games and adult presents for the ‘Present Room’. Last day to drop off donations will be Thursday.
- We will have another ‘working’ coffee morning at school to help prepare, organise and wrap what needs doing before the fair. Please come along to help get everything ready, have a tea or coffee, and most likely a good chat too on Thursday 7th December at 9:00am
- Stall sign-up sheets are with class reps. Please volunteer an hour of your time to help run a stall at the fair. We are also looking for helpers before or after the fair to help set up and clean up.
- Christmas Fair Bake Sale – we will have a cake sale as part of the Christmas Fair. We would be very grateful for cake donations on the day of the fair.
- Raffle Tickets – please return your raffle ticket stubs with payment this week via book bags. We have many great prizes for the raffle and are excited to see who wins what prize, particularly the £100 John Lewis Voucher!! If you would like more tickets, please pop into the office.
- Rainbow Day – This Friday 8th December – Bring a bottle to school for the Bottle Tombola. FOMS will meet your child at the main gate to take the bottles off them so they don’t have to carry it into school.
Thank you to everyone who has booked a ticket to visit Santa’s Grotto. Tickets have been selling fast and there is now only limited availability between 5:15-6:30pm. Don’t miss your chance to see Santa at the Christmas Fair. To book your tickets, email MonkfrithSanta@gmail.com
Please register and remember to use EasyFundraising when doing your online shopping, especially around Christmas. It is a great way for FOMS to earn cashback from your purchases, with no added expense to you. Please sign up at: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/friendsofmonkfrith/
FOMS are looking for a new Treasurer to join our committee.
The Treasurer ensures accurate financial records are kept and best practice procedures are followed for counting money, banking and making payments. He or she would require a basic understanding of book keeping, and will lead the ‘money team’ at events, which involves organising floats, counting money, making payments/reimbursements and deposits. The treasurer should also keep the committee updated with regular reports, and ensure end of year reports are completed for the association’s AGM and the Charity Commission annual return.
Being FOMS treasurer is not overly complicated and it can be a very fun way of being involved with your child’s school. You will also be a highly valued member of the friendly FOMS team, so please join us! If you are interested, please email us at FriendsofMonkfrithSchool@gmail.com
KS2 CODE CLUB
Our KS2 Code Club has been a fantastic success (thanks to the hard work of Jasper's Mum, Tangea) therefore we will be continuing in the Spring Term. We will start back on Wednesday 10th January at 8am and our last session will be on Wednesday 28th March.
Our current group of coders are going to continue: Rafi (Y6), Liam (Y6), Elliot (Y5), Jack (Y5), Dhiren (Y5), Emre (Y4), Joe (Y4), Daania (Y3), Simran (Y3), Luca (Y3) and Zac (Y3).
Thanks to the offers of help from two other parents, we will be able to offer 5 more places. If you are not in the list above and would like to join, please contact the Office.
If you visit the Code Club page on our website, you will be able to see some of our brilliant projects so far!
COSTUMES FOR CONCERTS
Please send costume in a carrier bag with your child’s name on by Monday 11th December. Thank you.
Year 1 - Father Christmas
Year 2S - Green T shirts/dresses and black trousers/leggings and a piece of coloured tinsel
Year 2D - Read and Green T shirts, black trousers/leggings and gold tinsel
Year 3P - Santa hats, white T shirts and sunglasses
Year 3C - Blue T shirts and blue/grey/white leggings/trousers
Year 4 - Plain white T shirts and jeans/denim
Year 5 - Onesies/Pyjamas and a cuddly toy
Year 6 - Pale blue/White T shirts and silver tinsel
All photo orders MUST be back with the office by 9.00am Tuesday 5th December as they are being collected later that day.
We have had a few cases of headlice across the school recently. Please take this opportunity to check your child’s/children’s hair and treat where necessary. The sooner they are treated the better, to prevent them spreading further. Thanks for your help, I know it’s not a job that anyone enjoys!
AFTER SCHOOL CLUB ON FRIDAY 8TH DECEMBER
Just to remind you, After School club will be running in the Reception classrooms on Friday. Please collect children from the Woods gate entrance in Knoll Drive. If you are visiting the Christmas Fair afterwards with your child, please come into school at the main entrance not through school. Thanks.
SCHOOL CHRISTMAS LUNCH
The deadline for ordering a school Christmas lunch for children who usually have packed lunch is Wednesday 6th December. Please send in £2.15 in an envelope marked with child’s name, class and Christmas Lunch and specify meat or vegetarian option.
The kitchen manager has to order the food on Thursday so we cannot accept any orders after Wednesday.
DATES FOR THIS TERM
Monday 4th December 2.30 p.m. Recorder concert
Friday 8th December 9.00 a.m. Woodwind concert
Friday 8th December: No Tae Kwando or football club
Friday 8th December 3.30-6.00 p.m. Christmas Fair. Please come along-buy presents, eat delicious things, enjoy carols sung by KS2 choir, see Santa!
Monday 18th December: 9.30 a.m. Y1-Y6 Rock and Roll Christmas concert.
Monday 18th December: 2.30p.m. Reception Nativity (Y3 and Y6 choir members supporting in song)
Monday 18th December: wear your best Christmas Jumper day and Christmas lunch.
Tuesday 19th December: 9.30 a.m. Reception Nativity (Y4 and Y5 choir members supporting in song)
Wednesday 20th December: 9.30 a.m. Y1-Y6 Rock and Roll Christmas concert.
Wednesday 20th December: School closes for the end of the Autumn term at 2.00 p.m. No After School Club.
Wednesday 3rd January 2018: School reopens at the usual time.
· ADMINISTERING MEDICINES/ FIRST AID IN SCHOOL
· Just to remind you that school is only allowed to administer prescribed medicines in school. Parents need to fill in a permission form at the office. Mrs Hart will then ensure that children get the correct dosage at the right time. She will also make a note on the permission letter to show when the medication was given. Asthma inhalers required during the day are kept in classrooms and administered when required.
· At lunch time, First aid is dealt with by a Mealtime Supervisor and any incidents are recorded in the Accident book in the medical room including the treatment given. If a child injures their head, a text/phone call will be sent to the parent as well as a note in the child’s book bag. Parents will be contacted if an injury is more serious.
· At morning and afternoon play children will visit the office if they have hurt themselves and Mrs Hart will look after them and note any accidents in the Accident book.
· RECEPTION PARENTS
· Please note that both Reception classes are in both Nativity performances so parents can come on either day.
· PLEASE DO NOT PARK ACROSS DRIVEWAYS!
· Registration number CX04 VPF.
· Please be considerate to our neighbours and DON’T DO IT!
· ‘ONE CAN’ FOOD BANK AND TRUST
· Thank you for all your generous donations so far. We would still like more so-please keep sending anything in from the list below:
· Tinned tomatoes
· Tinned potatoes / dried mash
· Tinned vegetables
· Pasta sauce
· Coffee/hot chocolate
· Tinned spaghetti
· Tinned meat meals (curries, stews, mince, hot dogs)
· Ham/corned beef
· Long-life milk
· Toilet rolls
· Toothbrushes and paste
· Shampoo and shower gel
· Washing up liquid
ART CLUBS IN JANUARY
Key stage 1 Wednesday 12.15-1.15 (Y1 and 2) : 10 Jan, 17 Jan, 24 Jan, 31 Jan, 7 Feb.
Children already booked in: Aria 1K, Sophia 1K, Georgia RR, Jasper 2S, Ege 1K, Alexa IK, Alice 1K, Effie ID, Roman 2S, Alexander 2D, Alexander 1K, Arthur 1K, Idris 1D. FULL
Key stage 2 Thursday 3.30-4.45 (Y3-6) : 11 Jan, 18 Jan, 25 Jan, 1 Feb, 8 Feb.
Reve 4, Louis 3P, Harley 5, Daania 3P, Yashvi 5, Lorin 5, Irmak 3C, Emily 4, Reuben 3C, Ellie Z 3C, Lilia 4, Mehr 3P. FULL
There will be 5 sessions in the next half-term.
Please send in £3 for materials on the first session only.
FOOTBALL FIXTURES THIS TERM (No football training on Thursdays until the end of term)
All fixtures are after school and are away matches. Miss Pierides is really grateful to parents who have volunteered to help with transport.
Thursday 7th December: Monkfrith v Hollickwood (Away)
Thursday 14th December: Monkfrith v Moss Hall Juniors (Away-Dick Bailey cup match)
MONKFRITH V ST THERESA’S
Thursday 30th November: Monkfrith v Akiva played at Akiva School.
Our team played well but struggled to score. Akiva managed to net 5 goals during the game and the final score was 5-0 to Akiva. Miss Pierides was very proud that our team continued to try really hard even after the first couple of goals and showed good resilience throughout the game.
KEY STAGE 2 CHOIR SINGING AT CHRISTMAS FAIR AT 4.00 p.m.
Please can any children in the Key Stage 2 choir meet Mrs Folan in the classroom on the bottom corridor, where music takes place on Thursdays at 3.45 p.m., for a quick warm up. Festive hats, reindeer antlers etc to be worn if possible!
UPDATE FROM PCSO BURDA
The Ward crime stats for last month are below. Whilst motor vehicle crime was low, burglary was particularly high so as always I would again recommend that you familiarise yourselves with the latest burglary prevention advice on our website -
A feature of last month's burglaries is of a group of burglaries occurring on the same day. On 4th we had four burglaries, in Exeter Road N14, Spencer Road N11, Weirdale Avenue N20 and Woodfield Drive EN4. On 8th we had four more burglaries, in Oakleigh Road South N11, Haslemere Avenue EN4, Ferney Road EN4 and at The Homestead N11. On 20th there were two burglaries, in Spencer Road N11 and Summit Way N14, and on 28th there were two more burglaries, in Weirdale Avenue N20 and Linden Road N11.
This shows the importance of reporting burglaries and suspicious activity as soon as possible as it may well be that the suspects are still in the area when police arrive.
Regarding method, several of the burglaries involved glass being smashed in rear doors, including double glazed doors. In at least four of the burglaries suspects have climbed on to flat roofs and gone through first floor windows. Flat burglaries are relatively rare but last month we had ground floor flats burgled at The Homestead in N11 and at Morton Court in N14.
There were two robberies on the ward last month. On 11th November a member of staff at a shop Friern Barnet Road was whipped on the hand whilst another suspect stole items from behind the shop counter. On 22nd November suspects armed with a machete stole an Audi S3 Quattro from a male in Hampden Square.
There were also two aggravated burglaries. On 8th November suspects forced entry to home of elderly resident in Ferney Road and told her to sit down in a room before then stealing items from the address. The victim was unharmed. On 24th November suspects armed with a hammer attempted to force entry to an address in Russell Lane. The suspects fled when confronted by the occupant. This resident was also unharmed and it is likely the suspects thought they were breaking in to an empty house.
Another crime to be aware of happened on 28th November at 3.45pm, a theft on Brunswick Park Road whereby a phone was snatched out of the victim's hand by a male who ran off through the Business Park. The phone was later recovered by a relative of the victim in Edmonton but it nonetheless shows the importance of being aware of your surroundings when using your mobile phone in public.
END OF TERM PERFORMANCES- please return slip with payment to the office by Monday 11th December
‘ROCK ‘N’ ROLL CHRISTMAS’ YEARS 1-6:
I would like one/two tickets for Monday 18th December or Wed 20th December (Please circle number of tickets and day)
Name of child____________________________________ Class____________
RECEPTION NATIVITY RL and RR
I would like one/two tickets for Monday 18th December or Tuesday 19th December (Please circle number of tickets and day)
Name of child____________________________________ Class____________
All tickets are £2. Money enclosed: ________________